So there was an attorney, Ms. S. who, was admitted to practice law in Ohio in 1978. She had a solo practice and had worked as a domestic relations attorney for most of her career.
In 2002 The Dayton Bar Association filed a complaint against Ms. S. for charging illegal fees and not promptly paying client funds that the client was entitled to. Ms. S. eventually reimbursed the client and the Board decided since Ms. S. reimbursed the client and cooperated in the proceedings, she should be publicly reprimanded. Case closed. If that was the worst of her problems, she would have been ok, in my opinion.
Come to find out Ms. S. had not filed federal, state or local taxes from approximately 1979 through 2001. Not only had she not paid those taxes, she had also not withheld federal income taxes or contributed to FICA for her employees for about the same amount of time. I wonder how one goes roughly 21 years without paying taxes. I don’t believe any of us like paying taxes but, we do. Now in defense of Ms. S. the case I read stated she turned herself in and did end up filing delinquent tax returns for the tax years 1989-2001. If that was me, I would still be sitting in federal prison!
In 2007 Ms. S. pled guilty to failure to collect or pay taxes (felony), failure to file tax returns (misdemeanor) and failing to report her income from 1999, all $250,450.00 (gross). Ms. S. was sentenced to one year in prison and ordered to pay restitution to the Internal Revenue Service and as of 2008 she still owed approximately $200,000.00.
In a news article from the Dayton Daily News website, Ms. S. stated the following reasons as to why she broke the law: “fear of being discovered, dysfunctional childhood brought on by an alcoholic, suicidal father who humiliated her and another father figure who employed her, but didn’t withhold taxes.” She even stated she knew this” would come out.” In the article Ms. S. goes on to say that she is losing everything. Well Ms. S. maybe it wouldn’t have come to this if you would have paid your taxes.
The Ohio Supreme Court disbarred Ms. S. permanently.
I completely agree with you here. That is insane that she got off with only serving a year. And, I think it was a sure cry for pity when she brought up the rough childhood as an excuse. I am sorry to say it but I am living proof that people can live happily and legally despite childhood traumas. I think it is odd that she wants to play the victim when she was clearly and knowingly breaking the law. I too understand the part of reimbursing the client but when I read that she had only paid back 50,000 of 250,000 dollars, she should have definately been charged a longer jail sentence. It shocks me what some people do when they have knowledge of the law. It's people like them that are tainting it and ruining it for the future law students. Tisk Tisk, that's all I have to say.
ReplyDeleteI think she needs to be sitting in prison still. I am happy that the Ohio State Bar decided to disbar her permanantly but where does that leave the people she still owes money to? (Including the U.S. Government) Maybe that is why we have a deficit right now...???
ReplyDelete